Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2016 00:17:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Babies react to the foods their mothers consume. His allergy is severe and with severe allergies, each exposure usually exacerbates symptoms, so by her continuing to expose him, should he ever ingest an egg again, it may be uncontrollable. And if he is itching "without a rash", his gut is reacting. We want babies bodies comfortable, not for us to simply be unaware that they are uncomfortable. Dairy and egg are only two foods. I have clients who avoid a dozen or more. She can simply avoid those foods 100% until he weans and may even need to have them out of the house afterwards depending on severity. It really is the only answer. 

Jennifer Tow, BFA, MA, IBCLC, RLC, OMT Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:11:49 -0500
Subject: Egg Allergy in breastfed baby

Hello from sunny central Florida!

I have permission to post about a mom with a 12 month old breastfed child who has a documented dairy and egg allergy. Solids were introduced at about 7 months and at 9 months baby had a reaction to scrambled eggs, this was his first introduction to eggs. He reacted with head to toe hives, and swelling and was taken to the ER and referred to a allergist. Allergy testing was done and baby was positive for eggs and dairy. Mom eliminated both from her diet. Now at 12 month follow up with allergist he tells her she must stop breastfeeding because it is going to make the allergy worse and her breastfeeding is what caused the allergy. She is very strict about the dairy elimination and never eats whole eggs but confesses to eating occasional bread or cake with eggs in it. He does not and has not exhibited any allergic symptoms since that initial reaction. No rash, no eczema, no GI difficulties no respiratory problems. She said he occasional scratches at his legs without a rash. Mom is struggling, she wants him to self wean when he is ready but does not want to cause him to be ill or worsen his allergy.

I have checked the archives and done a search for peer reviewed articles. I found one from 2009, a small study published by the AAP that did not find a increase in eczema related to maternal egg intake in babies positive for egg allergy. 

Does anyone have any information I can pass along to this mom?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Carla Parry Rn IBCLC (1996, resitting the test for the third time next month!)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2