Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:39:55 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I am an IBCLC who DOES have a heavy scale, purchased with my own money after "retirement".  WHY? Because I am part of a team - and as I work with health care providers, nurses, WIC , etc. I use that information as part of the information I share BACK with them - not as a "be all and end all" but as a piece of information, just like I share: baby nursed best in xx position, and mom's hands are no longer sore because we changed the angle for her, and father was more responsive and supportive this time around...

I feel my report makes communication more complete - and when the NEXT person sees them and the weight is taken again, there is a tracking that can help inform everyone of what "next step" to follow...  More close monitoring?  Send her to a support group? Encourage another visit from the Public Health Nurse?  

Maybe the moms we see are "different" but they don't seem to stress with the scale - just another piece of information, just like they weighed in during pregnancy - and something to share with grandma (especially if she's been giving her grief about breastfeeding). <grin>

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

PS - I do NOT use the scale in my La Leche League support group - unless a mom has a question/concern/problem - but I did use it in the support group I had in-hospital...  Just different styles - not right or wrong...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2