Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 05:28:36 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Yes that is true that powdered formulas, including human milk fortifiers cannot be sterilized. I think many hospitals are moving towards using liquid sterilized human milk fortifier for just that reason. I agree with Dr. Englesh though that often feeding the baby more frequently, closer to a normal breastfed baby feeding pattern, will increase weight gain and make these fortifiers unnecessary for babies who are low birth weight, though there is more evidence for their use in babies that are very low birth weight. Smaller babies do better with smaller, more frequent feedings especially. Dr. Nils Bergman recently wrote an article advocating that a feeding schedule of every hour is more inline with the normal physiology of a breastfed baby. I do not think there is any real science behind a 2-3 hour feeding schedule anyway for a breastfed baby. This is just something that began because feeding schedules are more workable for staff in a hospital and not due to any research or science behind them. Dr. Bergman is advocating for an hourly feeding schedule for NICU babies. When mothers are confused about feeding on demand versus every 2 to 3 hours I always remind them that their baby can't tell time and that women have nursed for thousands of years very successfully before the invention of clocks. More successfully than developed countries actually. Proof that scheduled feedings are unnecessary and counterproductive to breastfeeding, I think. 
Good news - Baby Friendly has developed a NICU program and Baby-Friendly USA is looking at their recommendations now to determine how to implement them in the U.S. It was discussed at the ILCA conference last summer. 
Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2