Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 12:21:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Mary Kay wrote:
> I would think that since mastitis is an inflammatory process that it does cause a fever. We see it all the time in moms who are engorged, right? Poor kitty. I know cats can't take asprin (wouldn't help anyway) but can they have kitty ibuprofen? Can you apply hot packs and cool compresses? I've helped a dachshund with a breast infection before (a miniature!).

Actually, cats can have aspirin, but it is dosed differently. We give our 17yr old cat one baby aspirin every 3-4 days for his arthritis on our vet's advice, and it does help.

A cute story about a cat with mastitis...
A friend called her vet to ask what to do for her mama-cat who was massively engorged and suffering from mastitis. The vet laughed, *Why are you asking ME? YOU are the La Leche League Leader! What do you tell mothers about treating it?*
Friend explained that she usually recommended ice to bring down the swelling, so vet said to ice down the mama-cat. Mama-cat screeched and yowled and spat when the ice came anywhere near her breasts, so friend decided to change tactics. She slipped a warm hot water bottle under mama-cat's blanket, and sure enough, mama-cat sat on it and her milk was soon leaking everywhere.
And that is my contribution to whether one should use hot or cold compresses for mastitis :)

Norma Ritter IBCLC
[log in to unmask]
--

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2