Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2012 12:48:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Of course I offer the rationale for *why* reconstituting the powdered infant formula with previously boiled and cooled water to no less than 158 degrees is necessary. My materials include lengthy discussion of the risks associated with powdered infant formula manufacturing and reconstitution, including info on the manufacturing process and where the most common sources of contamination arise. I provide lots of data regarding the rates of contamination, including info on case studies.

When the American Academy of Pediatrics *and* the National Association of Neonatal Nurse Practitioners *both* have instructions that completely disregard the necessity of reconstitution of PIF following boiling of the water, and before it cools below 158 the credibility of our instructions is highly diminished!

There is no acknowledgement from either of these organizations instructions for parents that powdered infant formula may be contaminated, their instructions only serve to imply your water source should be clean. This explains why people think using plain old bottled water is completely safe and harmless, or safe drinking water from the tap. Both of these organizations own instructions say so!

Why are these highly regarded groups of professionals who both focus on serving newborns and infants providing these instructions? 

They are completely inconsistent with what the WHO describes as safe PIF preparation, and even the formula manufacturers own literature discusses boiling water and reconstitution with cooled previously boiled water.....however some of them have a caveat '....discuss with your infant's Dr.'....no wonder parents and professionals don't know the facts, we can't even get them consistent among the manufacturers and major health organizations who are supporting this population here in the US.

Watch this and it's clear why my audiences perceive these instructions re: boiling and cooling to reconstitute as unwarranted when you have safe drinking water in the US:

http://www.infantformula.org/Baby-Formula-Preparation-Video-for-Parents-Who-Formula-Feed-their-Infants

Now elsewhere on this same website there is info related to the potential bacterial contamination, but clearly the instructions here dismiss the need to use previously boiled and cooled water to reconstitute due to this risk, they continue to refer to water quality as the issue inspiring boiling/no boiling.

Bottom line for me is this gives weight to the skepticism of some healthcare professionals to embrace the steps described by the WHO when seemingly credible resources here in the US completely contradict the WHO's recommendations.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2