Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:52:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
I had the same situation with my firstborn before I knew much about breastfeeding. I had a huge oversupply with a strong letdown and a baby who was a gulper. He would take everything in, spit half of it back up and still gain an enormous amount of weight. He also cried and screamed incessantly despite being carried in a sling all the time. 

Knowing what I know now, I think he was overfed and uncomfortable. If I could do it again I would have worked harder at decreasing my supply and used other coping techniques such as laid back positioning and catching the letdown before latching. 

As my son grew older it also became apparent that he has some sensory issues which probably compounded his behavior. 

I did find that the intensity of my letdown reduced over time, but was strong for the 18 months we nursed. 

Tania Archbold IBCLC. LLL 
www.mothersnectar.ca
Ontario Canada  

On 2011-10-17, at 19:32, Isabella Mendoza <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Here I am again, asking for your sage input.  Permission to post: Saw a mother today, third baby, exactly 1 mo old today, boy, 10 lbs at birth, (Vaginal) 15+ pounds today.  The baby is exclusively breastfeeding, mother breastfed her other 2 children for around 7 months each.  She is over 6' tall.   Medium sized breasts, nipples in good shape, round on detachment.  When baby latches on he happily suckles for a few seconds and then begins to gulp and sputter, becomes very aggitated, pulls off, and goes back (nicely), will feed for a good 15 - 20 min, every 2-3h.  Mother says she is feeding one side only at a feeding, but does alternate L & R every other feeding. Baby is stooling 2x in 24 h, stool is yellow and seedy, lots of pale urine, mother states he is fussy most of the time, gassy, crabby, "Yells from one feeding to the next".   Very important problem for her is VERY PAINFUL let down, she states pain is so strong it sometimes makes her cringe or cry, and then it goes away.  He spits up alot. It wasn't easy to examine his mouth, but he does not appear to have TT.
> 
> I asked her about her diet, states she eats a balanced diet, including dairy, and soy.  She does have a manual pump which she only uses for a few minutes now and again for those times when baby seems completely overwhelmed.
> 
> I told her that it might be useful to hand express at the beginning of each feeding, suggested positioning changes, store milk for later, and began to discuss diet.  But, with her permission, I am posting because perhaps I am missing something major.  It is troubling that the baby is so uncomfortable, and that there is spitting up.  Could it be simply a dairy intolerance?  
> 
> Any musings would be appreciated.
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2