Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:16:03 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi Everyone,
And Happy Holidays!  As of Jan 1, our hospital lactation service is going to lose easy access to electric rental pumps for our patients.  A couple years ago, we had a local medical equipment company dropping off 10-15 pumps every week in our storage closet.  We would bring a pump to the room, have the families fill out the paperwork, and fax it over to the company along with a prescription for DME rental.  We would also tell them they had the option of phoning one of the other pump vendors, and renting thru a different company if they preferred.  This worked great until the hospital attorneys got wind of it and decided it was not kosher, I think the perceived problem was a restraint of trade issue.  

So for the last year or two, we have phoned one of the companies on the day of discharge, and had the pump delivered to the mom's hospital room prior to discharge.  On weekends, our only really reliable resource has been one DME company.  Now this company is telling us they have had a budget crunch, and will no longer be available to deliver pumps to the hospital.  I LOVE having the pump piece be seamless, so they take it home with them from the hospital.  I am really worried that we are going to see a lot more premature weaning if our patients can't get a pump or have to hand express/ use a hand pump over a weekend.  

I am told the hospital absolutely CANNOT get into the business of renting equipment.  

How have other LCs dealt with this type situation?  Please respond to me personally as well as posting the list. 
TIA
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene OR USA 

--------------------------------------------------------

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message. 
--------------------------------------------------------

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2