Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:04:06 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Ok, I am coming off a weekend where I stayed away from the computer so I am trying to get caught up!  I ran across a good friend this weekend that I hadn't talked to in quite a while, she has an interesting case history.  Any ideas? 

Mom, age 28, three uneventful full term pregnancies. She nursed her first two babies for about a year.   Last pregnancy, last Sept. was induced with pitocin and she had an epidural.  She began nursing after the baby's birth.  Told me she had experienced sore nipples (she didn't call me then, is just telling me about it now).  At two weeks pp she had a severe stroke.  I offered to help her find donor milk at the time but her husband was so wrapped up in getting his wife back that I fear his concern for the baby's nutrition wasn't the first thing on his mind.  The baby went to stay with a relative who of course was a formula feeder and so the baby at two weeks got formula.  Now the baby is about 9 months old.  When I last saw the mom in about October of last year she expressed possibly wanting to  relactate.  She was supposed to have her meds reviewed.  I asked her why she never discussed her medication with a lactation consultant and she said that her neurologist told her the cumidin (blood thinner, spelling!)  she was on was not something she could take while nursing.  So... I told her I would check into it.  I will search the archives but wondered if anyone has had a case where their client has either been able to nurse on this drug or been able to take a different drug and continue to nurse.   When I told her that there were only a few drugs that interfered with lactation she expressed anger at her doctors, I tried to calm her by reminding her that probably 90%+ of these doctors patients are 50 and older, therefore they don't deal with lactating mothers daily and probably didn't know how to answer the questions she had.  So any thoughts???

Same mom, different question, so this baby has been on AIM for all this time, her husband has lost his job and they are now on WIC.  She has been feeding the baby a Ross brand formula and WIC provides Enfamil.  The WIC counselor told her to do half and half of each formula until her Ross stuff was gone.  When I asked her why she said she wasn't sure but thought it was because they were worried the baby would react to a new brand.   To me this seems like overkill and so I suggested that maybe she try the new brand for a day and if the baby has no reaction then she could probably assume there wasn't one, I mean they are all pretty much the same aren't they?  So for those of you who have worked with WIC, is this standard practice?  to mix two brands like this?  I would think that with AIM's already unstable disposition that this would make it worse.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.  My goal is to try and get this baby back to the breast, but we are going one step at a time as her docs won't give her a time table for when she can stop on the meds.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor, IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com
Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and
Elleanor who changed my soul.  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2