Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:49:49 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
So sad to hear about Dr. Palmer.  I heard him, many years ago, the first time he spoke at an ILCA Conference and I don't think anyone has influenced me as much as he did.  My memory is not great, but I remember a lot of what he talked about including his visits to the Smithsonian Institute to measure oral cavities before and after the advent of pacifiers and bottle teats. I remember him saying that if you had a tight frenulum you wouldn't be able to lick an ice cream or French kiss!  Makes me smile to remember him saying that.  

He was basically unknown, at that time, but made such an impression on those of us who had chosen his presentation, that the other ILCA participants were insistent that he do a second session, which of course he was thrilled to do.

I don't know how often I have explained, to my mamas and papas, about why the bottle is so very different than the breast and I don't know how many times I lent his video to doctors who didn't think clipping frenulums was necessary.  He taught all of us so much and was always so approachable. I didn't know he was Canadian but we emailed back and forth a few times.  The last time we spoke was in early February when he shared he was from Winnipeg and that he played for the Blue Bombers for 3 years before going to dental school. At that time I had the opportunity to tell him about his impact on me and my teaching.

Although, I really didn't know him very well, I feel like I have lost a good friend and mentor but he has
left us a legacy. Thank you Dr. Palmer.

Renee (in Vancouver, Canada)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2