Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 20:52:15 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I dropped off my kids this morning, at a friend's house who raises dairy goats.   On her counter was a pasturizer that holds about a gallon of milk.  It brings the temperature of the milk to about 160 degrees.

The sight of this home pasturizer brought a lot of ideas to mind.  Is 160 degrees hot enough to kill yeast (if not, then isn't it a threat to milk banked milk)?  HIV? (I'm sure it would be)  Why are we recommending that mothers with HIV not breastfeed, when maybe we can suggest having the mother pasteurize the milk, if she desires to breastmilk feed?  

The home pasturizer costs less than some breastpumps ($220 new, about $50 if bought used).  

Wouldn't this be a great idea for hospital without a milk bank?  They can easily process some donated milk and have on hand for premature & ill infants whose mothers are unable to supply- or do not want to pump.  It would save some babies from NEC and help others who have been through surgery.  Oh heck, it would benefit all babies to get some if they are not receiving their own mother's milk!

Just a thought!
Terriann Shell
Big Lake, Alaska

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2