Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:31:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Have been trying to resist, but have to put a few words in here.

I think that large amounts of cow's milk are probably not good for a lot of people.  I know from personal experience that even minute amounts of dairy can be life-threatening for some.  One of my little pet peeves is that when I mention that my husband is allergic to dairy, someone immediately suggests that I try the new lactose-free products.....  I do use those moments as a teaching opportunity, while I am clenching my teeth, just the tiniest bit.

That said, I do start getting a little antsy when it is suggested that drinking milk at all is some kind of dairy industry conspiracy.  As others have pointed out, people have been drinking the milk of other mammals and making various other foods and beverages from them for a very long time - goats, sheep, horses, cows, etc.  And anyone who thinks that only humans seek out the milk of other mammals have not seen barn cats gathering for a squirt or my own cat endlessly dipping her paw deep into a glass to get the remains - I have not seen her do that with soy or other "milks" (not saying that it doesn't happen, haven't seen it at my house).  I must confess that I do not like most calcium-intensive vegetables - I would literally gag on a cup of steamed collard greens.  In an effort to cut down on my own dairy consumption I have turned to the forified orange juices and supplements.

I have enjoyed the information put forth and hope that it is helping others to start thinking a little more "out of the box."  It is the "never" and "always" kinds of statements that tend to immediately turn a lot of people off, whether we are discussing diet or doctors or anything else.  This kind of stuff doesn't really bother me anymore, I have a very thick skin at this point and have interracted with so many different kinds of people with so many viewpoints.  But I do worry about the reaction of those new to this list or to these types of discussions.  We all come from very different places.  The only thing that I know for sure is that the human body is a marvelous and mysterious creation, endlessly complicated in so many ways.  Everyone is truly unique and each body's response to the environment and our efforts to manipulate it can be unique as well. We can only continue to seek and share knowledge and hope that it helps us as well as those who come to us for help.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2