Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:24:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Dear all:

I want all of us to take a moment to thank both Pierrette Mimi Pointsett and Jaye Simpson for 
bravely sharing their experience with thousands of strangers.  They probably represent many 
others on Lactnet who are far more fearful of exposing those traumatic episodes in their own lives 
in an effort to help those of us who may have experienced similar events ourselves and those of 
use who may not have experienced such events to come to terms with, understand, help 
ourselves, and help others to heal from such experiences.  

I want to make it clear that nothing I said meant in any way to diminish or trivialize the 
experiences of others who have undergone the legally defined term of rape.  As with any traumatic 
event, these experiences vary in nature, scope and the extent of trauma.  

I can speak for myself, but I also believe that those of us who worked with women who have 
experienced extreme trauma from an abnormal situation in which a health care practitioner has 
become a physical abuser are not in any way trying to diminish the experience of others when we 
try to explain why these experiences can be severely traumatic for women.  Never in any of my 
postings have I ever thought to make a comparison between what different women experience.  
So, if my trying to explain without sharing the personal details of these women's experiences was 
interpreted in that manner, my apologies.  It was not intended as such.  Merely, to explain that 
these cases were not merely about inappropriate touching.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to make it clear to Pierrette Mimi Poinsett and others, that I 
do not approach this topic cynically, jokingly, or lightheartedly.  The recent event with my client 
has left me exceedingly troubled as well we all should be whenever any human is abused, violated, 
or raped whatever their age or gender.

Best regards, Susan Burger

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2