Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 01:29:49 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I work at a children's hospital and we store our patient's food and drink in one refrigerator on the pediatric floors.  Each patient's breastmilk is stored in individual plastic sealed containers.  We have been doing this since 2000 and have queried JCAHO at that time and they approved this storage of milk and food together.  On our infant floors, we store milk and formula together and do not place them in sealed containers.  We do store each patient's milk in separate bins.  We have passed all of our inspections since then.  Our infection control nurse also find our practice to be acceptable. 

I offered this information to another group of hospital based LCs that I have corresponded with and was soundly chastised for this "unacceptable" handling of milk.  

It might not be easy for you to get a hard and fast answer.  I would suggest that you make an inquery to JCAHO and keep their answer on file.  This is what we have done.  Write me if you have more questions.  Good Luck!  Rachel
> Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 18:19:50 +0000> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: biohazard and milk storage> > We are due for JCAHO visit and as usual this stirs up a hornets nest everywhere. Today I was told that breastmilk was a biohazard (I know) and that as such breastmilk had to be stored in a totally separate refrigerator from formula. > > I have provided the CDC information (and the person telling me this is Infectious Control nurse). Is there anything else out there "officially" that I can provide? Of course I am home for the week so I don't have my resources.> > What about separate storage for breastmilk and formula? As far as I know it is not necessary. Is anyone doing this and if so why? If you are not doing it can you also let me know ( and where you are) as I have been told there are various JCAHO sitings for storing them together.> > Thanks,> Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC> Boston, MA> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2