Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:21:35 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hello

Couple of questions to help us move things in the right direction at our hospital.  

A couple of years ago I went to a conference where the speakers talked about a major overhaul at their facility-in California somewhere.  I can't find my notes anywhere.  What I remember is that much of their staff, including some LCs, left in protest.  One big way that they worked on giving a consistent message to all new families is that all staff had "scrips" about how to present certain materials such as pacifiers, rooming in, supplements, skin-to-skin, etc.  Does anyone have any scrips that they use in their facility for these purposes?

Other question is about the amount of overstimulation that healthy newborns receive when hanging out in the nursery.  We have an absolute epidemic of babies in nursery all night, many of them bottlefeeding while in there instead of going back to mom for feeds.  We, the LC staff, have talked until we're blue in the face about why this is a bad idea for breastfeeding babies for so many reasons.  We don't seem to get anywhere and are told this is what the moms want etc.  I feel that moms aren't getting the real message about why it isn't good to be separated from mom.  I heard Nils Bergman speak  a couple of years ago and he talked about the amount of sound and light causing overstimulation in babies.  I know there is research and guidelines about sound and light for babies in NICU and SCN but I'm working on healthy babies in nursery.  Does anyone have any research or info about this?  It thought maybe this would be a new approach to talk to staff and moms about.  

Thanks
Amy Slotten, RN, IBCLC
Ann Arbor, MI

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2