Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:26:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I am having trouble with a new IBCLC at my hospital.? She is very supportive and helps as much as she cans.? She is only a 24 hour/week employee, teaching many classes for us and wearing other hats.? When she is there she tries to see a few patients to help me out.? I do believe she does a good job with those newborns.? But lately when she was working a few hours for me on a day off, she say a consult.? An 8 day old.? I just happened to see this when I looked in our outpatient folder laying on my desk to get a form for a mom coming in to see me.? Of course, I scanned and it was flabbergasted to see that maybe she doesn't "get" the older baby.? She tried to treat that situation the same that you would in the hospital.?I am going to have to spend time with her, if I can slow her down and pin her down.? I am sending an email so when she reads it she knows we have to sit and talk a little.? This is going to come back and potentially bite us in the booty.? I have been at this hospital for over 15 years and I don't want a problem out there that should have had a feeding plan, frequent weight checks, pre/post weight check, and a follow up with the Ped soon.? I didn't see any of these things done or discussed on the plan for this mom.? I saw??that her note said:?fixed latch and?let baby feed longer on each side.??And the baby was 14 oz under birth weight at 8 days.? I was shocked that the critical thinking skills weren't there by someone who passed the IBCLC exam.? Maybe I had such good mentoring with Lynne Swoope years ago?when I was a per diem educator?on her side of town, maybe I learned and observed?for so long that?everything fell into place better for me.? I don't know.? ?She would have me come to her nursing mothers' groups meetings, have me observe at the bedside when unusual situations occurred.? She would make sure I observed her breastfeeding class.??In the hospitals these days you have to use every minute for what you were hired for.? Not a minute over 36 hours unless?the clinical manager sees the need at th

e beside.? So there is no time for this IBCLC to really spend extra time with me.??

Have a great day everyone!? More high heat and storms in?South Florida expected today!??
Pamela A. Hendrix?BA, RNIV, IBCLC, RLC
South Florida Hospital Based

? 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2