Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:05:13 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hello Friends, 
I am working with a mother, an aspiring LC actually, and we would appreciate your input.  The baby is 3 weeks old.  The first time I saw her she was 3 days old.    The mother had a home birth.  She was concerned that her baby was just too fussy, not settling after feeds at all.  The baby's latch wasn't so good.  Moms nipples were a little sore, nothing extraordinary. Baby seemed to do better in a clutch/football hold and she seemed to have a good feed.  She was obvioulsy swallowing and fell asleep.  The mother has stayed in touch with me since.  The baby has never stopped fussing and the mother is going a bit out of her mind.  The baby has several green poops a day, not watery or frothy or explosive, more mucosy, bit of curds, very very green.  Baby fusses during feeds, after feeds, in the sling, sleeping with mom, whines in her sleep. Baby is very gassy, from both ends.  She tried one sided feeds and baby kept fussing.  She went back to 2 sides, using compression on the first side before switching - says that her milk supply is up and baby is still fussy.  She has never  had the baby's weight checked though she has grown another chin and looks good.  I went back over there today.  Baby is still not latching well.  We tried all kinds of positions.  Mom has a strong MER and baby pulls off frequently.  However I think that the baby is really only drinking during the MER which occurs several times during a feed. She does best with mom lying on her back and in football. Baby has a heart shaped tongue but can extend it past her  gumline. (Older brother has a short frenulum and basically starved until 6 weeks old when he finally latched on properly and then nursed for 2 years) I tried to check the baby's suck but she would not suck on my finger.  The few sucks she would do were not really sucks at all, no tongue groove, very little suction.  Her palate is a little high.  I taught the mother the charm hold but baby wouldn't suck.  I left mom and baby very frustrated.  Mom will pump after feeds to keep her supply up and, if she feels it is necessary, will feed it too her baby with the slowest Avent nipple, making sure she 'latches' on to the bottle with a wide open mouth. I also encouraged her to go to another, more experienced LC and promised her that I would post to the wise women and men of lactnet.   I would love to hear some idea of how to help this poor mom.
Thankyou so much,
Chayn Fogelman, IBCLC, Israel

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2