Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:19:50 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
Pat Young and others,
When you say "I have been using Diflucan for about 6 months..."  Are you an LC advising physicians what to prescribe or are you a Phycician or Midwife with prescription priviledges?
As an RN IBCLC I am continuously caught in the bind of knowing what the problem is (on my good days) but then having to talk the other caretakers of the mom/baby into the care plan for that problem.  
There is an OB group here thathas told me "Ductal yeast does not exist"  and although there is one physician who is currently "going out on a limb" and using Diflucan for her patient ("In the absence of  large controlled double blind studies which confirm that this is an appropriate treatment)  I am finding the whole process time consuming and discouraging.  
My collegues and I have a file which includes all the resources we have accumulated so far on yeast infections of the nipple/breast and it amazes me how much resistance we are finding with each new case.  And the moms involved, to their credit, aren't quitting as soon.  They really deserve the best care that they can recieve.  
I guess I ran on a bit after my original question-any thoughts appreciated.
tracy throckmorton, portland oregon

ATOM RSS1 RSS2