Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:10:30 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
I had a call from a mother yesterday, she has a lump about the 5cms (2 inches) in diameter in the upper half of one breast, her baby is 7 weeks old and the lump appeared about 3 weeks ago resembling mastitis (but she has never had any other mastitis symptoms) saw the doctor who started her on antibiotics (flucloxacillin) and when that course finished with no improvement she changed to dicloxicillin, which she's still taking. Has tried all the usual mastitis treatments and was sent for ultrasound treatment and a diagnostic ultrasound, diagnosed as a galactocoel.  2 visits to surgeon, he aspirated at the 2nd visit and got milky fluid only (mother got the impression he expected to aspirate pus) lump is painful but not inflamed.  She has another visit to the surgeon this week and was wanting to know what sort of questions to ask him - he was not too communicative and she feels he really doesn't know what he is dealing with.  Baby is thriving, contented and feeds well from both breasts, she has no intention of weaning but worried about the long term antibiotics and the fact that the lump's not resolving.  Any ideas.  I'm afraid I wasn't much help to her.
Thanks
Philippa Crossley RN, RM, IBCLC 
Canberra, Australia

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2