Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:14:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Beadie, after some searching, I found this feature at 
http://drkoop.com/family/childrens/feature.asp?id=5467

Breastfeeding was "discussed" as part of the first month of development.  I was appalled at the negative tone of this information.  This newsletter makes it sound as if it would be a miracle if anyone were able to successfully breastfeed with no intervention and no supplementation.  I was saddened by the fact that this information is being disseminated on Dr. Koop's website as I had believed he was a supporter of breastfeeding.  I cringed at the statement "But there are many valid reasons for a woman not to breast-feed, and babies receive everything they need to grow and flourish with formula. "  Everything they need?  I don't think so!   If formula has everything a baby needs, why are the formula manufacturers constantly working to find new formulations (e.g., the recently-announced "smart formula") which will be even better for baby, almost like breastmilk?  

I certainly agree with the idea that it is good to have a breastfeeding support system in place before giving birth.  I wish the article had specifically mentioned LLL as an example; however, it does suggest calling LLL for more information.  

This article clearly suggests that formula should be the first answer to most breastfeeding problems, e.g., when it says that "Your baby should be weighed to make sure he is getting proper nutrition; if not, supplementation with formula may be required."  Hey, how about correcting any breastfeeding problems first before resorting to an inferior product?  How about only considering formula as a last resort?

Sara Dodder Furr, MA, LLLL
Lincoln, Nebraska

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2