Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:55:19 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
"...a recent post on facebook's "I love Babywise" page from a mom who didn't know what to do about her 3-month-old who will not focus on eating.
"She will suck 2-3 times, then pop her head up, look at me for about 30 seconds, then start laughing/smiling, suck 2-3 more times & then do it again." The mom decided this meant she was not hungry and ended the feeding session. At naptime the baby cried & cried, but she can't feed again until after the nap. Mom is at her wit's end. How sad, that she is so worried about keeping the schedule that she can't just enjoy this sweet exchange with her baby girl!"

I wonder, does she also punish her husband if he smiles and talks with her during meals, by taking away his plate and refusing to let him eat until the next meal?

We can certainly create some strange family dynamics with these artificial rules that fly in the face not just of physiology but of common sense and normal human affection. Imagine writing a how-to book in which you advocate punishing babies who show love by starving them of both love and food--and it becomes a best-seller. We live in crazy times.

And...re: Rachel Myr's "Go to http://xkcd.com/386/ to see how a cartoonist has treated the theme 'incorrect info online'"

Thank you Rachel for this! I think I will post it above my computer to remind myself it will be impossible to correct all the misinformation coming at us. It's OK to pick our battles and let some of the roar just pass by.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC
It's summer in the Sierras

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2