Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:27:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The digest I just got contained my message in gibberish! So i"m resending it. Wondering why this happened....
MKSmith
Recent posts have made a very good point about letting our superiors know what we do, how we do it and the cause and effect of doing it (or not!). Sometimes it is hard to quantify dollars and cents, tho. I recently started a job in a hospital that has not had an LC for almost 2 years. I am working to bring things back to a level of competence for staff, along with seeing patients, on a part time basis. We all know it will take lots of time, and administration will need proof of what is being done. A monthly report with number of patients seen, phone calls made and received, meetings attended, and work accomplished along notes and comments from patients are provided monthly. I keep a copy for myself and I know many LCs do this, to go back and look at the GOOD we have done, to boost our mood when it feels like it's getting a bit futile! It is also helpful to keep simple monthly statistics, like breastfeeding rates, and post them for staff or email to physicians. 
Enjoying this exchange of ideas, along with the formula refute! (thanks, marsha!) Getting lots of questions from staff on this one, and the contaminants issue. Many thanks also to my Lactnet friends and colleagues for the "ammunitition." It's very nice when we are all on the same page sharing this information.
Best,
Mary Kay Smith, RN, IBCLC, LLLL
Livonia MI (suburban Detroit formerly of suburban Chicago)

ATOM RSS1 RSS2