Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 22:44:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I believe that what others have said they observed in relation to latching to inverted nipples is true for them.
I also know that I have observed numerous occasions where the baby simply cannot latch to an inverted nipple despite vigorous efforts.
This isn't a character flaw on the part of the baby or mother, it's a mechanical situation. If you can imagine a tongue tied baby attempting to latch to a dense breast with no tissue elasticity (my arm has plenty of elasticity to the tissue) and inversions that adhere the nipple face to behind the nipple.  For this example this baby couldn't even get the areolar tissue into the mouth beyond the lip line, the nipple remained well adhered to behind the breast tissue,  the baby could suck a slight amount of skin in the baby was trying so hard, no amount of time was going to simply resolve this. I've worked with cases similar to this numerous times. I wouldn't consider it common, nor would I say it simply doesn't happen. 
I feel like it can be a disservice to these pairs to deny that these circumstances exist and resolve were we simply more patient.  Gadgets, when used appropriately, can preserve breastfeeding and in some cases they do just that. I don't deny they can also be used inappropriately and interfere, the key is identifying when they are warranted and when they are unwarranted. 

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2