Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:43:48 +0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I was wondering if any of you may have some suggestions for the following situation.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with severe PND (borderline psychosis) when bub was 5mo. She saw an IBCLC, who told her to wean as she wasn't making enough milk. This doesn't quite ring true with me, but thats not the point. She was put on nortriptyline & clonazepam and improved after a few weeks. Now that she is feeling better, she is horrified that she weaned. She asked me for info about relactation and well the crux of the matter is that bub is happy and willing to feed at the breast. She bought a pump and is expressing 5/6 times a day and putting baby to breast several times a day too. She is on fenugreek and blessed thistle and also looking at getting a supply line (SNS). She is still on depression meds.

The problem is that since doing all this (bub is 7m now) her PND has come back with a vengence. She feels that its because of the hormones. She is not quite willing to give up, but is wondering if it is all worth it at the cost of her sanity and her family. Her husband is very supportive, but also feels that it is taking its toll on family life.

Is there anything else I can suggest? She is in contact with LLL in New Zealand and has support from them.

I know how much this means to her....

Thanks.
Krischne
NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Australia
Mum to 4 (8m to 6yrs)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2