Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:42:23 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
"I wonder if more babies were exclusively breastfed, if they would grow up healthier and experience healthier pregnancies and have less NEED for NRP for their babies." 

I think you could make a better case for less birth interventions reducing the need for Neonatal Resuscitation (I thing the "P" stands for Program).  There might be a connection with infants given less than ideal start becoming women who have less healthy pregnancies, but there would be so many other potentially confounding factors in the intervening years that it would be very hard to find any hard evidence.
There have always been some babies born early or with medical complications and I am sure there would always be some even with the most ideal birthing and breastfeeding.  In the past, most didn't survive.  Neonatal Rssuscitation certainly saves lives, but the formula companies' involvement does annoy me to say the least.  Because it is a critical skill, all nurses who work with deliveries and newborns need the skills, so by sponsoring the education, they have tapped a truly captive audience.  They're no dummies!  You'll never convince me it is done out of the goodness of their hearts.  If it was, they wouldn't feel the need to be sure everyone knows they are behind it.  In my opinion the truest charity is done anonomously with no need to be sure everyone knows it's you that's doing it.

Winnie

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2