Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:49:06 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
I knew a rural couple who adopted - only to find that the mother was pegnant. The adoption had already gone through when she found out she was pregnant.  So it was final and nothing could be done to overturn it by the official the family had been dealing with - who was reportedly "furious".  There was just 8 months between the adopted baby and the biological baby. This would have occurred in the late-1960s or very early 1970s and so far as I know, no attempt was made to breastfeed the adopted baby during the pregnancy.
On a personal note: I increased my milk supply substantially with an older baby in an emergency situation - while pregnant. She was on solid foods and receiving other drinks by cup.  During the emergency situation she fed at what seemed hourly intervals overnight and went up to 100% breastfeeding, and was well hydrated and alert. It never occurred to me that I couldn't boost my supply as I'd relactated some months before. Several years later someone who knew my children and their ages remarked on the fact that this happened while I was pregnant with my second child, expressing surprise that it was possible.
Please note, I'm currently "nomail". So please send any replies to me privately.
Cheers,
Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
email: [log in to unmask] 

----- Original Message ----- 
To: "Lactation Information and Discussion" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "vgthorley Thorley" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: Pregnant and adopting

I have been watching this discussion with some interest.  It is not a situation that is likely to present itself here, given that adoption is rare and infant adoption all but unheard of since the late 1970s.  
However, I feel compelled to make the comment that breastfeeding is not contraindicated during pregnancy unless the mother has been instructed to take 'full pelvic rest' (ie, no sex).  I know of at least one mother who has established a plentiful milk supply during pregnancy.  If the mother wants to breastfeed both children, please, let's not get in her way.
Nina Berry PHD
Listmother
Australia=

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2