Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:21:32 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi, my name is Kim Lewis.  I'm a retired LLL Leader and a student at Antioch New England Graduate School.  I'm working on a research paper on breastfeeding, for my Master's Degree (in Early Childhood Education in the Waldorf Education department).  There has been a tendency for Waldorf early childhood educators to encourage mothers to completely wean their babies at 12 months.  This trend seems incongruent (to me) with other "Waldorf" tendencies (which usually allow children to develop at their own pace, without adult imposed time tables), so I've been researching it - trying to discover where this tendency started and why.  Although the bulk of my research is complete, there are some pieces of info I haven't found.  Hopefully someone out there can send me in the right direction.  

1.  I'm looking for a well designed chart or graph of the components of human milk (it could include comparisons to the milk of other mammals).  (The ones I've found are pretty archaic.)

2.  I'm also looking for a fairly recent estimate of how many moms begin nursing their infants (what percentage?) and how long they continue - in the U.S.  (One resource said that 74% of nursing moms wean by 6 months - but I don't know how many others never started - I've heard 50%?)  Is there a place to find breastfeeding trends?  I read that the all-time low was in the early 70's, but I don't know how low that was, nor how much it's changed.

3.  Is there a place to find European breastfeeding trends? (I'm especially wondering about Germany in the late 1800's and early 1900's and England over the past 40 years.)

4.  Is there a resource that explores possible connections between breastfeeding practices and religions of the world?  (Such as prayers, rituals, weaning expectations, etc.) 

5.  I have some info stating that one and a half million babies die every year because they are not breastfed.  Is that currently true?  

I'd be so grateful for any help. 

Kim Lewis ([log in to unmask])

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2