Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:48:27 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
It's a good book but AAP mgmt sold a great number of them to Abbott.
Abbott gives them away, with their logo on it, for one reason - to sell Abbott products.
That makes your  hospital an unpaid marketing entity for Abbott formulas.
Whether they acknowledge that or not, that is the effect it has on their mothers - the hospital recommends Abbott products.

Your  hospital can really help their mothers with breastfeeding by BUYING the AAP books that do NOT have the Abbott label.
That meets your CPC requirement. 

Is there any reason why your hospital can't label the books they BOUGHT with something like this:
"A Gift for You and Your Newborn to say Thank You for Choosing XYZ Hospital"
Include a phone number for your hospital's post-discharge lactation services. 

Now they are marketing themselves instead of Abbott and doing something positive to help their mothers and babies.

Just a thought.

Phyllis

---- Pamela Poe <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 

=============
Our hospital got books as a "gift" from Abbott Nutrition  written by an IBCLC for the American Academy of Pediatrics...on the inside cover it states "A gift from Abbott Nutrition"...Abbott nutrition is the makers of Similac.  2 of our IBCLC says we cannot hand out at our hospital in breastfeeding bags as that is a conflict of IBCLC.  I see these books as educational and so I don't believe it would be a conflict...there are no pictures of bottles, pacifiers, or anything on them...very accurate information...etc.  There are no samples of formula or coupons that come with the book.  Am I being naive?  Is it a conflict?     I stated I would much rather an educational book go out as most people don't know Abbott Nutrition VS having pacifiers being handed out like candy on our floor.  Is there a conflict here because the link of Abbott Nutrition with similac.  Thank you for your input!!!

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2