Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:10:21 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Just a quick introduction and a simple question I hope.

My name is Sue Holden and I have a dd dob 12.7.96.  Ana dh who is a defense meteorologist which means he is away from home alot.  He knows absolutely nothing about bf but I have an unmarried sister who can spot a bf problem in 15 seconds from having lived with us while I was training.  I am a breastfeeding counsellor for the National Childbirth Trust and have been qualified for 8 months - but training for three years.

Just a quick question.  I am currently counselling a mother with a 10 day old baby, born by c/section.  Milk came in 4 days pp.  Prior to this baby feeding every 1.5 to 2 hours.  Now cluster feeding from 7pm to 5am, then sleeping to early afternoon.  Mum exhausted and finding it difficult to feed in bed due to cs scar.  Also weepy and unsure, and sleep deprived.  Coping strategies discussed, reassurance this is normal given, lots of cups of tea and positioning checked (baby beautifully positioned and feeding well, mum not sore.)

Now I know this is like a piece of string but how long will the baby cluster feed for?  Is there anything, apart from waking the baby in the day, which we tried today but with great difficulty, she can do to encourage the baby to reverse her sleep pattern?  We talked about minimal stimulation, low lights, peace and quiet etc for during the night and lots of activity in the day, but I am not sure this will work on so small a baby.  BTW baby thriving, plenty of nappies etc etc.

Feel free to e-mail me off list. I expect a call tomorrow from Mum.

Mum did give babe 4oz formula on Monday night which seemed to work, fortunately it didn't work last night.  Nipple shields worked on Saturday night, apparently (mum clutching at straws).

Sue H.
--
Mum to one, Emma, DOB 12.7.96
BFC Harrogate, Wetherby and District Branch NCT

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2