Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:50:09 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
As the posts I have seen on this topic have not mentioned criteria for LAM, I am sharing this.  I apologize if it duplicates previous postings which I may have missed.

We are now, as official health policy in Norway, telling women that if the following three criteria are met, they are as likely to become pregnant as if they had an IUD in place.  Note that ALL THREE criteria must be met.  As soon as ONE is not met, the whole deal is considered to be off and the chance of conception unknown.  Note too, that women can become pregnant with IUDs.

1. baby is entirely nourished by breastfeeding, including night feed(s)
2. baby is under 6 months old
3. menses have not resumed (definition: any bleeding occurring more than 14 days after cessation of bloody lochia = menstruation)

I find this information to be clear, unequivocal, and easy to remember.  The criteria are unambiguous, allowing mother to pose simple Y/N questions to herself to determine whether she fits into the group able to enjoy some measure of contraceptive benefit from BF.  It is still up to each woman to decide what use she will make of this info.

Rachel Myr
on my way to a last home visit to a 19 y/o whose first baby was born at home a week ago and who is now in danger of being flooded out of the house by rivers of milk, which began early on the second postpartum day.  Life can be wonderful!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2