Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:32:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Skype has, as one of its rotating images, a view of a proud new mother and father smiling while Grandpa bottle-feeds the baby.  Here's the letter a friend in GA sent to Skype:

"I would like to see the graphic on the home page changed. Why is it necessary to show a grandfather bottle-feeding his grandchild? Why can't he just be holding the baby? Bottlefeeding is such a controversial issue and has no relation to the product that you are marketing. The American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement on Breastfeeding (www.aap.org/policy/re9729.html) clearly states that "Obstacles to the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding include . . . lack of broad societal support, media portrayal of bottle-feeding as normative." When you use this graphic on your website, you portray bottle-feeding as normal. In the graphic, everyone is happy and smiling while the grandfather puts his grandchild at risk. The AAP states that "Before advising against breastfeeding or recommending premature weaning, the practitioner should weigh thoughtfully the benefits of breastfeeding against the risks of not receiving human milk." Also, "No supplements (water, glucose water, formula, and so forth) should be given to breastfeeding newborns unless a medical indication exists." I am not suggesting that you put a breastfeeding mother and child on your graphic (although I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it). Just don't put a bottle-feeding child. Just a suggestion." 

I can't find the image when I look at the Skype site; is it possible they've had enough letters to get it removed???

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2