Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:45:53 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
I have unfortunately run into the same problem with delayed clipping of tongue-tied infants. When I speak on this topic I use the following as a handout:

Feeding plan considerations prior to frenotomy (or if frenotomy will not be done)
When positioning the infant use positions that encourage forward and downward movement of the tongue such as ventral (semi-prone), completely vertical, or an upright clutch hold
Modifications surrounding latch-on can include: stroking the infant’s tongue down and forward with an index finger, chin or jaw support to help maintain the latch, techniques to evert nipples if they are flat, and shaping the breast for a deep latch. 
A nipple shield can be used if the nipples are too sore or damaged for comfortable feeding
Mothers may need to pump their breasts following each feeding to assure an adequate milk supply and to provide a supplement if the infant is unable to transfer sufficient amounts of milk while feeding at the breast
Infant weight should be checked every 3 days until an adequate pattern of weight gain is established. Even if a tongue-tied infant can feed at the breast, he may not feed at optimum efficiency and may require pumped milk supplements
Close attention should be paid to articulation achievements as the infant/child begins to vocalize

I have found that using a nipple shield in the situation described by Leslie has at least helped with the nipple pain. Even though this infant is gaining well at this point, I have also seen a decline in milk supply in some women due to the inefficient sucking over time.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2