Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 17:04:45 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I agree with Carol B on this issue. The most powerful marketing of formula comes from health professionals when they are a part of the gift giving program for mothers and health professionals. When we accept gifts and give formula packs, we are the avenue for their sales and marketing plan. It is no different than being in a magazine advertisement or on TV supporting their product. We can say all we want that we think "breast is best" or that we support breastfeeding mothers, but what we do is more powerful than what we say.  Formula companies have always said that they advertise in the hospital because they are not allowed to advertise to consumers. I know people don't agree with me, but it would be better to advertise to consumers than to have health professionals do their advertising.  The NM Breastfeeding Task Force is trying to get rid of formula companies in the hospital state-wide(we have a few who have done this) as our project for World Breastfeeding Week. It has been interesting getting feedback from some of the hospitals. One person said that the nurses at a meeting actually were so upset they cried at the thought of not giving out the packs. How have we gotten here? By superb marketing by a commercial company!  And, I think in a system(the health care system) where nurses (and others) are overworked, overstressed, underpaid, and there are few "perks" and "pats". In come the handsome(most were all good looking males when I worked in the hospial) rep who says how great they are and gives them something.... 
We will keep you informed! 
Carol L'Esperance, RN, MSN, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2