Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:45:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello, Everyone.
   I'm stumped.  I have permission to post.  I have only spoken to this mom on the phone, not observed a nursing.  Mom has a bit of trouble giving me the history in order, so some of this seems a bit wrong to me.  English is not this mother's first language, so that could be part of our problem.
   Mom has 6-mo-old baby.  Currently not on solids.  Had tried to introduce them at 4 mos and 5 mos., and baby had severe allergic reactions.
   Mom had a menstrual period at 1 mo, 3 mos, approx 5 mos, and again about 2 weeks ago.  (That math doesn't seem quite right, but that's what she told me.)  About a month ago, it stated taking several minutes to get a letdown, even on the second breast.  Then last week, it got worse.  Baby now wants each breast twice, feedings take 40-60 minutes, and letdowns are taking really long.  When she pumps (once/day, usually around 1 a.m.  This is about 5 hours after baby last nurses for the night.), it now takes 20 min to get the milk to let down, even using massage and warm compresses.  But she has milk.  This morning, she slept about 3 hours longer than usual (husband turned off middle-of-night alarm), and got 9 oz of milk, but the letdown was still delayed.  Even when pumping at her usual time of 1-2 a.m., when the milk finally lets down, she usually gets 4-5 oz. of milk.  When baby nurses, the letdown takes more like 5 minutes or more (that's long for a mom 6 months into nursing), and baby is getting very frustrated and crying a lot.
   I asked if she could be pregnant when she first said her letdown was delayed.  She said she was hoping not, but just today she and her husband learned that his vasectomy had been done improperly and he still has a high sperm count, and they had not been using other protection.  But while this might account for the more drastic change that occurred for the past week, it wouldn't account for the start of the slow-down a month ago.  (She will take a pregnancy test tomorrow.)
   Mom has not taken any medications.
    Any ideas as to what may be going on, or how this mom can help her let-downs occur in a more timely manner?
   Dee Kassing

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2