Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:07:29 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Hello!   My name is Erin Tinquist, and I am in my junior year of nursing at the University of North Dakota.  I chose to join this list serve because I am interested in becoming an OB nurse and am also considering becoming and IBCLC eventually.  I am very interested to learn more about breast feeding and the problems encountered by some mothers.  Alternative medicine is another interest of mine, and I would like to learn more about it.  I know that is can be quite controversial, but I believe it does have its place in medicine and can be beneficial in certain cases.  
Considering my interest in both breast feeding and alternative treatments, I have found a topic that covers both of these areas, and one which I am very interested to learn more about.  I have found some information on galactagogues that I would like to share with you and also learn anything you could share with me about your experience with patients using any of these treatments.  
Metoclopramide (Reglan) is the most commonly used galactagogue according to Gabay, (2002).  It has been through numerous studies and found to be quite effective in inducing or enhancing lactation with very few if any side effects to mothers and newborns.  Domperidone and oxytocin were other treatment options that have been used successfully according to Betzold, (2004), but are difficult to find in the United States, and are only available from compound pharmacies.  
The other treatment that seems quite popular is fenugreek, a European herb from the pea family.  It is thought to stimulate sweat production, so stimulates lactation due to the idea that the breast is a modified sweat gland.  There have not been many legitimate studies done with this herb, so antidotal reports are relied on for results.  Many women have claimed that using this herb increased their milk supply within 24 to 48 hours, as far back as 1945 according to Betzold, (2004).  Tiran (2003) listed many exclusion factors for women considering fenugreek, and also more side effects.  The other articles seemed to agree that side effects of fenugreek were quite rare, and as far as reports they were aware of, this is also a safe choice for treatment.  They were sure to mention that more studies would need to be done to ensure the safety of this herb.  
One benefit of using fenugreek is that once adequate milk supply is attained; the mother can stop taking the medication (Betzold, 2004).  With metoclopramide, when women stopped taking this medication, their milk supply decreased again, (Ehrenkranz and Ackerman, 1986).  
Here are the questions that I have for you:  If you had a patient with inadequate milk supply, where galactagogues are indicated, would you feel safe recommending fenugreek to help enhance milk supply, or would you rather prescribe, or refer to a physician who could prescribe metoclopramide?  If any of you have had patients that have used fenugreek, what was their experience with it?  
Thank you!!   I greatly appreciated the time you took to read this and respond to this if you are able. 

Erin Tinquist, SN
University of North Dakota 

References:

Betzold, C.  (2004). Galactagogues.  Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health, 49(2), 

151-154.   

Ehrenkranz, R., &Ackerman, B.  (1986). Metoclopramide effects on faltering milk 

production of mothers of premature infants.  Pediatrics, 78(4), 614-620.

Gabay, M.  (2002). Galactagogues:  Medications that induce lactation.  Journal of 

Human Lactation, 18(3), 247-279.

Tiran, D.  (2003). The use of fenugreek for breast feeding women.  Complementary 

Therapies in Nursing and Midwifery, 9, 155-156.   

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2