Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:00:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
There was a good plug for bfing yesterday on a public TV show called "America Walking." This episode addressed the obesity problem in America. To illustrate what has led up to today's excessive obesity rates, an expert (not the show's usual host, but I didn't get his name) took the approach of noting the changes that must occur if we *intended* to increase obesity.  He began by stating that since breastfeeding is known to prevent obesity, the first thing we would need to do is to cut rates of breastfeeding!  He then discussed briefly how the breastfeeding initiation rates in this country have dropped dramatically and noted the lowered rates of breastfeeding at six months as well.  He went on to list other contributors to obesity like making food cheap and easily attainable, increasing serving portions, reducing need/desire for walking, creating obstacles to safe walking or bike riding, creating more sedentary jobs, etc. I was just so thrilled to see breastfeeding discussed as the first step!  I just wish I had the expert's name.  The show is produced by the Connecticut PBS if anyone up there could find out who this breastfeeding friendly guy was!  I'd love to acknowledge him and perhaps invite him to speak at some LLL or other lactation conference!

Linda Anderson
LLL Leader in New JerseyGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2