Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:07:33 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Someone recently posted about suggesting a second opinion (for tongue-tie, for example) or suggesting SLP, and that this might constitute contradicting a physician.
I think you could do this safely by telling the mother a little about tight frenulums, that this is a controversial topic among doctors, that some doctors quickly and easily clip them, and  that some don't believe this should ever be done. Then something like, "your doctor generally favors waiting and watching; let him know the trouble you are having, and discuss it further with him (or her)." I would then fax my report to him with my recommendations. I might also include an article. This is not contradicting the physician. 

Same if you suggest SLP. You could say "many mothers have found an evaluation by an SLP to be very helpful. I'll put this in my report to your doctor and you can discuss it further with him." If the doctor doesnt' agree, the mom already has a clue she can do this on her own or change doctors. You don't even have to suggest that mom change doctors if you think this might be an option, but you can say something like "do you have a good relationship with your baby's doctor? do you feel he (she) listens to your concerns? " This gives the mom a clue that she can find a new one if it's not feeling right to her. 
Anyway I've had some success with these tactics. Here's another reason why LLL or peer counselors are great - they are not tied to the healthcare system, the way an LC mgiht be, particularly a hospital based one. The LLL group or PC can talk about these options with mom.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2