Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:36:41 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I had to speak up in support of Morgan Gallagher's post about NIP and "discrete" being used as a tool to curtail nursing mothers; I agree with her completely.  I have nursed my children any and everywhere, been proud to do so and have never had any negative comments (a couple of fishy looks, but that's all).  Even with that outlook, I have been concious of an internal "bracing myself", an alertness to the reactions of those around me, in anticipation of a negative reaction to this normal and natural way of nurturing my child.  It has been stated as a barrier to nursing by many of the moms I have worked with; my standard response is "anyone who has a problem with a baby being fed has a problem: theirs, not yours"......  I would ask one basic question:  What other activities do we feel the need to be "discrete" about, and how does BF relate to those activities?   I believe that the answer lies in the belief that they are things that carry a certain automatic level of disapproval or embarrasment in our culture, things that should be private.  If that is the case, we need our nursing moms to be anything BUT discrete!! 
Esther Friedman, NIP mom, IBCLC, LLLL
www.firstgiving.com/tylermom
There is no greater accomplishment than helping a child...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2