Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:08:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Anne mentions one of my pet peeves:
"they do take the babies (to the nursery) every morning while the pediatricians are making rounds from 7-9 a.m"

I have told parents that they have the right?to refuse (politely request) to have their baby taken out of their room for any routine exams/tests. Most everything can be done in the patient room.

I worked newborn nursery for many years & we had?the same?7-9 am rule.?I would take cueing babies to their moms for feedings during that time because I think it is so rude & mean to treat anyone like this! Yes, some of the docs would be annoyed that their baby was not in the nursery when they arrived. I was glad that I was there to look out for the rights of those newborns. Let them get annoyed; it didn't bother me. Our peds really fought us & didn't want babies in the rooms for exams. Administration finally said this is the way it will be. They made sure that the docs had what they needed in the patient rooms--good lighting, opthalmoscopes & otoscopes.

A friend of mine has a great idea for parents/nurses who want babies to suck on a pacifier to delay feeding times. When it's meal time for the adult, give the person a stick of sugarless gum to chew on and tell them it's too soon to eat! The adult will have to wait for 30 min or 60 min just like they make baby wait.

Laura Hart
Winter Park, Florida

Anne Hinze writes:
"I do plan to find out if they supplemented my son in the nursery. This hospital no longer
has a full-time newborn nursery, but they do take the babies every morning while the
pediatricians are making rounds from 7-9 a.m. Why the peds can't come and do their
checks in the mother's rooms makes NO SENSE to me. Almost every breastfeeding mom
I've talked to or counseled recently has told me their babies were supplemented with
formula during that time."

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2