Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:45:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
While it sounds like she needs a dermatologist, a good place to begin is to discontinue use of all softeners and dryer sheets in her laundry routine, and use an extra rinse with addition of one half cup of white vinegar to the water. It would also be helpful to rerinse all clean sheets and towels currently in the linen closet. This is so as to avoid exposure to soap and softener residue when pores are open due to warmth of bathing or perspiring while in bed.

This will remove all soap products and the smell will evaporate in the dryer or while hanging on the line. I remember my mother telling me this years ago. I always had success with no rashes with cloth diapers (way back then;-). Many timesi if the vinegar rinse were carelessly skipped, my children as teens would complain of perineal discomfort, especially the girsl, or hives when my son was a runner and used a towel not treated this way. 

I still do it with every load of laundry. It doesn't interfere with wash and wear qualities, and works beautifully for baby clothes, so no special soaps or other products are needed. And using it is probably less expensive over all than commercial softening agents.

K. Jean Cottermn RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer, Dayton Ohio

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2