Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:44:02 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have a couplet I am working with. Baby is 10 weeks old. Mom has cracks on both nipples. Crack is on top of the nipple but not right in the center. (i.e. it is not at the base). She has been exclusively pumping without healing for two weeks. She uses an Avent electric pump and when she pumps the edges of the crack get vary dark purple and the center of the nipple gets whitish. It's not a Raynaud's type thing. Her doc put her on a round of antibiotics for the resistant cracks without any improvement and then he tried a few days of Diflucan with some improvement. I recommended a full course of the Diflucan but the mom is reluctant to use more medication at this point. Baby has some issues that she is going to get cranial sacral for, but without him latching I don't understand why she is not healing. She was using APNO and I rec she get it without the cortisone (due to the fact that prolonger use of cortisone can thin the tissue). I have not really seen this darkening of the edges of a crack before. We had her use the Symphony in my office and it still caused the color changes of the edge of the cracks. I am having her see a derm and I think the crack should be cultured, but I can't figure out why she is not healing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Boulder, Erie

This electronic transmission (including any attached file) contains information from Boulder Community Hospital which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or by electronic mail ([log in to unmask]).

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2