Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2014 19:11:17 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
I had a mother call today regarding issues with food introduction and SEVERE reactions that require hospitalization. The baby is 15 mo, so far is only tolerating breast milk.  I probably need a more thorough history but here is what I have and if any of you have advice please also email me privately:
Baby had first introduction of foods at 6 mo. Dr old her try gerber bananas.  (I know...Yuck)  2 hours after a little spoonful baby began violenting vomiting until bile, became dehydrated.  1 mo later Dr asked her to try again.  She bought organic peaches.  Same scenario, 2 hrs later, Ped called, they send baby to the hospital. Xray  ultrasound all ok. No hives.

Food allergy testing NON IG,  no allergies.  Baby is brought to the hospital each time food is now attempted and 2 hours later ends up admitted due to turning gray and becoming lethargic.  She has oral aversion and they try to feed her a "serving" which mom doesn't understand as a spoonful does this same reaction.  Then did a food patch test and when the food touches the skin it blisters severely so you can imagine what is happening internally.  They have been through fruits and grains and will start root veggies next.  She has been to Joe DiMaggio in Hollywood, Jackson in Miami and Mt Sinai in NY.  Her supply is dwindling so she wants help with building up her supply.  I am so hesitant to tell her to take anything as it could affect the baby.  I do have her pumping after feedings.  Baby stays on for like 5 min at this age.

Baby has oral aversion to cups of any kind, anything other than the breast.

Mom eats chicken, green beans, salads, caroots, egg whites and an occasional pizza with cheese, so far baby isn't reacting to these things.  (I didn't ask her what kind of grain the pizza was made from)

They are saying this is FPies they think but the most severe case any of them have ever seen.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for this mother?

Pam
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Pamela A. Hendrix BA RNIII IBCLC RLC
Memorial Hospital West Family Birthplace
954-844-9908 Breastfeeding Line
Portable in house: 443337

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: DO NOT FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO OTHERS WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE SENDER.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged material that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, or taking any action in reliance on its contents is prohibited.  If you have any reason to believe this e-mail was not intended for you, please delete the e-mail and any attachments, and notify the sender immediately.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2