Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:54:02 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
You are most definitely not alone, Ann Marie.  My comments may be uninteresting to those outside the US because they refer to the WIC program here in the states.  It seems appropriate that this thread should include the word "breakdown" as it applies to IBCLCs in WIC!  Ann Marie refers to the situation in Wisconsin.  I am an IBCLC working for WIC in a Southern (USA) state.  I am the WIC/BF Program coordinator by title, but that has never been my job classification since there aren't any "official" job classifications for breastfeeding positions other than state coordinator.  I am really a public health educator on paper.  Being an IBCLC was something that I desired and attained on my own.  No one was really even aware that I did it until after the fact, and it made very little if any difference in the workplace.  I sent out my own announcement that I had passed the test initially in 2001 and by 2005 when I renewed, I just kept it to myself.  Ann Marie, I know serving 3 counties is daunting. Believe me, I understand because I have tried to cover 19 counties for 10 years, with one associate for 9 of those years and alone for the past year since there is no plan to hire again.  Being an IBCLC in WIC has got to be something you do because you love it and have a strong desire to help moms and babies.  Where I come from it means next to nothing to most of the individuals around you.  Maybe one or two understand what you went through to get certification and wonder why in the world you would do that for no financial compensation or recognition.  We must all support each other, and LACTNET is so great for that.  WIC, as a whole, hopefully will begin to set regulations in place in the future that states will have to comply with in regards to the breastfeeding portions of their state program services.  I know there are states out there that are providing much more than others are when it comes to support for moms/babies and recognition for the efforts of local/regional staff, even if it is a simple "atta girl!" for those in the trenches.    

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2