Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2012 20:13:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I agree with Judy on this. I also agree with HCs position that there is no consistent training program.  Does that denigrate the IBCLC title?  I don't think so.  What multiple pathways meansto me  is that I can go to Slovenia and hang my IBCLC "shingle" and while I don't speak the language I can still identify low supply and can work to find a way to support mom in achieving her breastfeeding goals (not as well as a locally born and Slovakian speaking IBCLC of course).  

What I don't agree with is HCs position that there is not a hierarchy in breastfeeding support.  Uhhh....riiiiight.  That is why for the last decade or more it has been IBCLC-LLL  (LLL being explained as as equal to IBCLC but peer only not "professional") and then CLC where the hope was that CLC would move to IBCLC.  And, for those about to flame me...I got this impression from HC themselves when I did my CLC.  

My takeaway is that IBLCE raised the standard, HC as the primary US based source of CLC training has now fired across the bow to say that if IBCLC is going to be basically unattainable except by those who enter a MCH or Nursing program then there is a gap for qualified mentor ready breastfeeding support -- ie., CLCs trained by HC.

Lea Rivera Todaro
Brooklyn (it's a city-state just ask my 4 year old), NY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2