Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:54:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Rebecca Kubenk asks if anyone has any idea why a mother might have been advised to apply grated raw potato, wrapped in chilled cabbage leaves, instead of taking the antibiotics prescribed by her doctor for presumed mastitis.

The best way I know of for finding out why someone has recommended a particular treatment is to ask them, unless the mother declines to give her permission for two of her clinicians to discuss her care.  In this case the question might take the form of 'I have also been following Jane Doe during her mastitis and I am not familiar with the grated potato and cabbage treatment.  Can you correct this if I have misunderstood, or share with me the references on which you based your advice to her?'  even if what you are thinking is 'what parallel universe did YOU qualify in?'  In fact, especially if that is what you are thinking, it's good to think through what you want to achieve in your contact with the other health care provider before getting in touch.  You may be surprised to hear the midwife's version of what you have advised the mother to do, too.  

Keep in mind that the mother may be reluctant to take antibiotics unless she is convinced they are really necessary, and she may have actively sought a more traditional folk remedy but senses that you or her doctor may not support her in using it.  

I certainly hope that whether she takes antibiotics or uses a folk remedy against swelling and inflammation, she also sees to it that the breast is drained frequently and effectively, and that any problems the baby might be having in accomplishing this, be addressed.  Otherwise neither treatment is likely to succeed.  

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2