Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 22:58:53 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hi Joy,
I very much likes your long discussion of this topic. I think and talk and debate a lot about fluids and common and normal weight loss and the facets of calorie vs fluid loss. I think weight losses in otherwise healthy newborns we may see are very common, even in the 7-10% range, but I really doybt if they are normal. If there are any vetenairy experts or zoologists here, I'd like to know if substantial postpartum weight loss is as common (and thus normal?) in other mammals as well. 
When looking at the tables in the MGRS (WHO growth standards) I find it stunning to see hardly any weight loss (only in the 1st 24 hours) and a rapidly starting weight gain.
In my part of the world (Netherlands) IV's in childbirth are on a very much lower rate then anywhere else in the industrialised world (30% unmedicated homebirths, low CS rates, low incidence of induction and epidurals in hospital births) and still weight loss of 7-10% is seen as common (though reason for panic and lots of supplementing).
ILCA mentions 7% as well as a marker, but not as a reason to start panic treatments, rather as a point to start taking extra care for the dyad, observe feeding methods and management, observing and interpreting input and output and looking for more causes for weight loss then lack of calories alone.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC in PP, LC lecturer in southern Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2