Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:00:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
There was nothing immediately apparent on the website cautioning parents not to leave a baby unattended in a Woombie, and nothing about which age group it is meant for, but the babies seemed to be approaching the age when they could turn from back to front by twisting their bodies.  If they did, they would not be able to free their face from whatever they landed on.  How does this help parents sleep *better*, pray tell?  I would feel I had to sit and watch over the baby all night to make sure he wasn't suffocating in the thing.  If the Woombie is so snug it prevents turning, then it doesn't foster normal muscle development as claimed on the website, it probably causes the same head deformities we see in babies who live in their car seats.  A baby who is trying to breastfeed in the normal way might feel frustrated not to be able to touch any of his mother's skin with his hands, when finding the breast and when suckling, and I don't know how inconvenient it is to peel it off the baby and then reinsert them after a feed at night.  Oops! Forgot! These are to PREVENT having to BF at night, how silly of me.  (The resulting drop in supply might make the baby grow more slowly, so the Woombie could be used for even longer.)  It would be effective in preventing thumbsucking, too.  The first image on the website that I saw was a baby with a pacifier fastened to the Woombie, but the baby would not be able to find it and get it into his mouth without help.
Yikes.  Looks like another thing for people who can't stand to be in physical contact with their children, and it looks downright unsafe to me.  What kind of testing was it subject to before being unleashed on the next generation?

I won't be trying to get the cpmpany as an exhibitor at any conference I organize! 

Rachel Myr
who at the moment is reading, and greatly enjoying, 'What Mothers Do - especially when it looks like nothing' by Naomi Stadlen

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2