Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:31:51 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Hello all Lactnetters,
I'd love to hear some feedback, input and ideas about a mother and baby I saw a few days ago.
This is the mom's first baby-50 years old,born at term by c-section,an IVF pregnancy.Mom put the baby to breast about 12 hours after surgery,(thats how things go in most hospitals these parts sadly) baby latched on for about a minute and refused to continue.When I saw them one week postpartum mom was engorged and had sore nipples,and was feeling very discouraged in general.
After relieving engorgement baby would latch on perfectly ,but alas-for a minute or so only,after which she would either shut down(fast asleep) or reject breast.I suggested frequent pumping,lots of skin to skin.Each pumping session would yield about 10 cc's of milk.mom stopped most pumping after one day ,continues to offer breast every now and then and does skin to skin.I think (and feel) that SNS is not an option here.We discussed additional options If further pumping wouldn't move things along (motilium,oxytocin spray) but mom agreed to first give the pumping a longer trial.I have a feeling this is one of the moms that may need support Not to breastfeed-but I'm not sure.I feel totally unsure how to proceed! Help!
warmly,
esti golovensitz

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2