Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:14:59 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi! My name is Cheryl. I'm a RM and IBCLC working in Brisbane, Australia. 

This is the first time I've posted. I thought I'd always be an observer, but a patient at the post-natal unit I work in said something to me that has me wondering.

She is a first time mother of twins 8days old born by C/S due to eclampsia after which she was specialled on IV Mag. Sulp.for 48hr. The twins are 36 weeks and she is breastfeeding them and has been regularly comping them due to decreased lactation. Oh yes, she has also had an infection of unspecified origin ? endometritis and is currently on IV Ab's- Cephalin and Flagyl.

She says that her nipples are tender initially on attachment then pain free for duration of feed. Afterwards they are very tender for 30mins or. They are intact, no obvious damage. The twins attach perfectly - could do an ad.

Today Mum was told that the reason her nipples are tender is that because the two babies spend so much time on their breast the acid (?) in their saliva was eroding her nipple surface.

My initial reaction is scepticism. I don't think saliva is acid anyway.However, if anyone has any comments I'd be very happy to hear them.
Thanks Cheryl Holland, Brisbane, Australia

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2