Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 02:54:58 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Julie - in the hospital where I work the managers developed a simple competency task sheet that nurses need to complete before their review. Basically an IBCLC must sign off that they observed the nurse do each of the following, instruct on pump assembly, instruct on the use of an SNS, and instruct on the use of a nipple shield. Oddly enough, they did not think it important that we sign off on assisting a mother with breastfeeding. I find that the medical community often dwells on the unusual rather than the norm. 

Cindy Garrison BS, IBCLC 
Pittsburgh, PA 

I am a hospital based IBCLC and for our unit based competency on breastfeeding, my manager would like me to observe each nurse working with a breastfeeding patient. She would like a check off sheet to be used for consistency. Does anyone have a check off they have used or know of any? I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to contact on my email 

Julie Morgan, RN, IBCLC, ICCE 
Prenatal Education/Lactation Services 
St. Joseph Hospital 
765-456-5655 
[log in to unmask] 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 

Jan - I was at the first exam in 1985, given at Georgetown University before the La Leche League International Conference held in DC that year. I didn't realize/remember it was also given in CA. I began working at the hospital where I still practice in 1991 - right as I was deciding if I would recertify or not, since I hadn't put my certification to work yet. It was perfect timing and I never regretted it :-) One of the OBs questioned the title, thinking it would be easier just to say we were the breastfeeding counselors, and has come to appreciate both the skills and manner of working with mothers that the five of us full-time IBCLCs bring. We've moved form needing an order to even be allowed to see the mother to most OBs and Pediatricians writing orders to make sure their mothers are seen before they leave the hospital - a challenge when there are over 10,000 deliveries a year! (Our staffing is a different story - alas.) I use more gadgets as an IBCLC than I ever dreamed as an LLL Leader AND I find the Leader skills sooooo helpful for getting to the "real" questions. 

Cindy Garrison BS IBCLC 
Pittsburgh, PA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2