Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:04:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
In a message dated Fri, 14 Jun 2002  7:13:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

>
> I have always been curious about what we call "overproduction."  What is evidence of overproduction?  Is evidence based on a mother's description of her problem?  Is overproduction often a case of erratic nursing patterns
> rather than having too much milk?  By this I mean that the mother goes far too long between feeds and thus has full breasts.  When we receive descriptions from mothers about oversupply, are we asking questions about her nursing patterns?   Erratic nursing patterns increase the liklihood of overfull breasts, engorgement.  This in turn decreases milk supply because very full breasts or engorgment is really about a milk supply going through the shutting down process.  Mothers assume the opposite that over-full breasts mean a great milk supply and not full breasts mean poor milk supply.

Valerie,
In part I agree with you, but I am not sure that I can find evidence in some situations that the mother had nursed erratically. Would you suggest then that "overupply" and OAMER are two completely different scenarios--although the mother may experience both and even at the same time? This is what I tend to think. I heard a researcher recently explain how he determined that migraine and aura are two different conditions and that b/c many people have both, everyone has assumed they were part of the same condition and treated them accordingly. He believes he can be certain they are not. Having experienced both in a very painful way myself, it led me to to reevaluate the "oversupply" and OAMER problems that I expereinced with my daughter. She did nurse erratically b/c of the OAMER, certainly not b/c I made any effort to space feeding--she truly lived in the sling at my breast. So, did one cause the other?   Maybe so, but it doesn't mean that I didn't end up with way too much milk most of the time. The fact that it only happened with my dd has certainly convinced me that the underlying cause was unique to our experience--I am certain her birth played a role (one of the reasons I am such a strong advocate of CST and chiropractic today). I also think nutrition plays a role and that I was deficient in calc/mag and possible even EFA's. So I do agree that feeding patterns need to be evaluated, but I also think there is far more to be looked at--I think it is a system-wide problem, if you will, (the system being the maternal-infant ecosystem) not a localized condition.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2